|Profile & Practice|
Lisa Mathewson has defended clients in white collar criminal and related enforcement matters for nearly twenty years. In tune with current law enforcement priorities, her representations span the public and private sectors. Her clients are public officials, scientists, bankers, entrepreneurs, lawyers, physicians, and others. She has defended, for example:
• cases alleging public corruption, including bribery and "honest services fraud"
• securities fraud, municipal finance, and other matters arising in the financial services industry; including both criminal cases and civil enforcement actions by the Securities and Exchange Commission;
• health care and pharmaceutical matters for both corporate and individual clients; including cases under the Food Drug and Cosmetics Act, Anti-Kickback Act, and the civil False Claims Act;
• antitrust matters in a variety of industries;
• environmental cases for businesses large and small;
• immigration and naturalization fraud cases;
• trade and embargo enforcement matters; and
• criminal tax cases.
Ms. Mathewson's recent federal jury trials include:
• representing an employee of a suburban Philadelphia tax advisory firm, who was accused of marketing the firm's services and thereby procuring the filing of false tax returns by its clients;
• representing a state senator accused of bribery, honest services fraud, and mail fraud in connection with a state pension;
• representing a Philadelphia City Councilman's Chief of Staff, who was accused of bribery, honest services fraud, and mail fraud in connection with real estate;
• representing a physician accused of committing naturalization fraud by falsely certifying people applying for U.S. citizenship as disabled.
She also won a significant victory against the Securities and Exchange Commission in a watershed municipal securities matter tried to an Administrative Law Judge.
Before forming her own firm, Ms. Mathewson was a partner in a boutique Philadelphia white collar defense firm. Prior to that she worked in the Philadelphia office of a large international law firm, where she handled white collar criminal defense and First Amendment matters.
HONORS & AFFILIATIONS
• Named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for 2011 through 2015, and previously a Rising Star Super Lawyer, for white collar criminal defense (by Law and Politics Magazine and Philadelphia Magazine)
• Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
• Vice Chair, White Collar Crime Committee
• Vice Chair, Amicus Curiae Committee, for matters before the
• Master, American Inn of Court at the University of Pennsylvania Law School (elected 2009)
• Member, Federal Bar Association Criminal Law Committee
• Member, Third Circuit Bar Association
University of Connecticut, 1995, JD with highest honors
• Associate Editor, Connecticut Law Review
• Best Oral Advocate, Loiselle Moot Court Competition
Colgate University, 1991, B.A. Philosophy and Spanish
Hon. John M. Steadman,